Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Yay for Projects and Adventures! -- 18 February 2013

I am working on several projects right now.

My first project is myself. I am working on being myself. Unfortunately I fell into a missionary trap of not thinking my ways works, and as a result I was trying all kinds of different styles. That didn't work too well, because I don't know how to do different styles, I only know my style. The greatest (and hardest) thing about each of our styles is that they can change and grow. I am also remembering that while I can do things with my style, I still need to do it the Lord's way. (It's like following a recipe. Once you have made things over and over, you know the recipe by heart, and then you can add your own flare to it, but you still need the basics) So I am adding my own "sass and spunky" (Sister C's words not mine.[Isn't she so great!?]) to how I teach the gospel, and I am using the tools that Heavenly Father has given me.

My second project is finding people to teach. The past couple months, the Sisters in this area have done AMAZING things, and baptized so many people! Unfortunately, that leaves our teaching pool VERY empty. Lots of tracting. Lots of talking to everyone. Lots of enthusiasm (see above project). We have a lot to do, and not a lot of people to do it with yet. The other awesome, yet frustrating thing about the Sisters who were here before is they tracted everywhere!!! They left nowhere untouched, so now when we go somewhere people are like: "Didn't I tell you a month ago, I didn't want to listen to you!" We'll find a way.

Project #3- We are working with 1 woman who has a baptism date.  Unfortunately, she has had walking pneumonia for the past week and a half, so I have only met her once when I first got here. She will get to baptism eventually.

My final project is the one that, Mom, you sent me for General Conference. It is turning out so beautiful, and I have decided that I am going to give it to the Cs for a "Thank-you/Farewell" gift from the mission. So all of my spare time (HA) is spent doing a few stitches here and there. It is actually coming along faster than I thought. So that is good. I am taking pictures as I go (but I can't send any to you because I lost the cord that hooks the camera to the computer. Said sorry).

We have had a few adventures this week as well. Last Saturday night we got a call from the assistants. I answered. Here is the conversation that followed:

"Sister Hill would you and Sister F like to participate in an all sisters musical number at zone conference?"
"Sure! That sounds like fun! What other sisters are there?"

"Warsaw, Peru, you, and will you call Lafayette 3 and ask if they want to do it, too?"

"Sure... What are we singing?"

"You can sing whatever you want. How about when you call Lafayette 3 you figure it out, and we will send you the others sisters' numbers so you can coordinate with them. Just let us know what you choose!"

"Uh... Okay. When is Zone Conference?"

"Tuesday."

"Tuesday?!"

"Yep! Well, have a good night, and just let us know! Thanks Sister Hill!"

So I have learned that 1) Don't ask a boy for details, no matter what kind of leadership position he is in. 2) Just don't ask! You will get roped into being in charge!

It ended up going very nicely. We sang hymn #41 Let Zion In Her Beauty Rise. The rest of the conference was amazing as always. It was weird cause it was at the Peru chapel, and I had just been there the week before, but it wasn't my ward anymore. Strange how fast that happens.

Our other adventure this week is that on Friday we went back to Peru. (Yes again) But this time it was for K's baptism!!! (K is the woman who called us 3 weeks ago!) President C said I could go to the baptism, so we scheduled the time. What we forgot to schedule was that it was rush hour, and the end of the trip would be in the dark. So we were late. When we walked in, she was nowhere to be seen, and neither was Sister P and her new comp, and I was so sad cause I thought we had missed it. Then one of the ward members came up and said, they just did it....5 times. Either her dress popped up, or a knee, or her hair, or something else, so she is changing into a jumpsuit, and they are going to try it again.

So we made it for the actual baptism, and the second half of the program. After, we only had time for me to give her a hug and a little gift, and then we had to book it out the door, cause we were going to be late getting home. Well, now I knew my way home. At least I thought I did. We missed our turn and drove for an extra 30 minutes.  But we couldn't tell cause it was in the dark!!!

We were both so stressed out. It was 9 and we were supposed to be in right then, and we had no clue where we were. Plus! Our gas gauge was on empty, cause we had been so stressed about rush hour that we had COMPLETELY forgotten about filling up. So we were in the middle of nowhere where the towns are so small even the gas station closes. So we called our District leader and our zone leaders to let them know we would be late cause we were lost. We then called Sister W, and she got on Google, and was about to find out where we were, and direct us home. We also got called by the Zone leaders, and they found us on their GPS to get us home.

We pulled into our apartment at 10:25. We were so stressed and exhausted, and mad at ourselves. We didn't like feeling disobedient. I know it was our fault, but the Jerk, (you know the jerk I am talking about.) the jerk kept saying things like: "If you had just..." or "you know, if you had...." and at 10:30 when you are tired and mad it is kinda hard to shut him up.

Anyway, Saturday morning came and we hadn't slept at all, so we called Sister C, and asked if we could have an extra hour to get some real sleep. When we talked again after planning that night, she reminded us that it wasn't our fault, and sometimes things are out of our control, and we need to remember the blessings, that we got home safe, and that life moves on, and things happen, and President C, and more importantly, God, knows that things happen, and it is okay to make mistakes. And that most of the time, these things happen so that we can grow, and be tested in hard times.

Anyway, I love you all, and hope your week has been as fun as mine!

Love always,
Sister Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment