Monday, August 20, 2012

Transfers -- Monday, 20 August 2012

Well, it is official. I am leaving North Vernon. So when you send your letters this week, either send to the mission office:

1980 E 116th St, STE #200
Carmel, IN 46032

or wait until next Monday when I can get you my new address.

Actually while I am so sad to leave North Vernon, I am excited/nervous to start a new adventure! Sister Castleton is staying here in North Vernon and training one of the new Sisters coming in! (Honestly, I am glad I am not her right now. Training is super stressful, and I think I am way too selfish to do it!)

So moving on from that, I have a funny story! Yesterday in sacrament meeting, we had a couple giving their "farewell" talk. One of their daughters and her two children came to visit our ward. (They just moved out last month so we knew them and were excited to see them again.) Half-way through Sister Miller's talk, the little boy had been out in the foyer, and he came in the back door and walked right past us without pants or a diaper on! He walked up the aisle without a care in the world! When Sister Miller saw him she stopped cold, pointed at him and looked straight over at her daughter, like "WHAT IS HE DOING!?!?!" The whole congregation was busting a side trying to not laugh right out loud at this little boy's bum hanging out under his shirt! It was the most eventful sacrament meeting I have ever been in. It was super great!

We also stopped and talked to a couple of guys yesterday.  After we were talking for a few seconds we realized they were pretty drunk. Then they had another friend show up who was WASTED! It was interesting trying to talk to them after that. So we left. Hopefully there were seeds planted.

All in all we had an.....eventful Sunday. But you just can't beat the Sabbath day! Our lesson in Relief Society was on Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy and how we can better do that. I sat there thinking: "Sunday is just like every other day, if not 10 times more busy!  How can we keep it holy?" Then I thought about something I have heard several times:  every day is the sabbath as a missionary, because we are dedicated to doing the Lord's work 24/7 for 18 months. That really helped. However yesterday, all I wanted to do was curl up on your bed and play Othello with Daddy. :) Until I can do that, though, we went out to work, and it ended up being a really good day!

So here is your "writing prompt" for this week: What do you do to Keep the Sabbath Day Holy? What can you re-commit to doing to make it truly the Lords day?

I love you all! Talk to you next week from......?

-Sister Hill

1 comment:

  1. Funny you should have that topic come up. Sami and I spent last week being edified at education week. Making the Sabbath more holy was something we felt we needed to improve. Yesterday we started a power hour. It turned out to be more than an hour. We gave two members of the family a subject. They studied and then taught us. It was a great discussion. Everyone participated. Our goal is to have each member take a subject each week and then share and teach each Sunday. The leaders of the church have encouraged us to have more gospel study as a family on Sundays. This is one way we are trying to keep it holy.

    ReplyDelete